Thursday 19 January 2012

Ok, So Here I Am...

Its finally happened. The long-in-the-coming, most-debated, weighed, evaluated (to the last extra rupee to be earned) decision has finally been taken. In my heart of hearts, I always knew I was coming. Way back in September 2010, even before I married my husband, I knew I was destined to come here.
To Pune city.
The Indian IT hub of India (Well, I am told Bangalore is the more global in its outlook, but then, I could be wrong).
I did come here once before. That was immediately after marriage. But went back to my "home" Delhi before you can say "I knew she wouldn't stay!"
But here I am now. Its January 2012 and I've been here for more than two and a half months now.
And I think I am going to be around...

Ok, so now for the customary and cliched queries...Yes, I do like it here. I've heard a lot about the weather of the city, though I haven't experienced its "wow!" elements so far. But I will be around when the winds change, don't worry, and I will post my experience then too, so hang around for that!!

Well, in the meantime, I hereby announce to award Pune on its top achievement so far:

For being extremely safe for young, trendy and "i-want-to-wear-low-waist-jeans-and-i-give-two-hoots-whose-looking" women like me. No male worth his balls has ever given me a dirty look here, or a second-look for that matter (For a while, I almost thought I've lost 'it', you know?!). Thank you Pune males, you are a refreshing change from Delhi's women-eaters prowling every alley of the city!!

Ok, with the goodie-goodie things over and done with for now, I do wish to point out two flaws in the city system which rob Pune of its top honours: The pollution in the city (Delhi wins here, hands down) and the sorry public transport system.

I have to mention here, I have used a city's bus service after nearly six years (I last did that in Delhi in early 2006!) and, barring the dust and the pollution and the crowd (thankfully no smelly armpits here, so do I thank the Pune weather?), I have enjoyed discovering the city at the bus-pace. Full marks here to my husband too who pushed me into it for my first ride half-way across town. I now do that and much more all by myself!!

The public transport system is not too much to write home about though. The buses are old, there aren't too many on a route anyway and the networking is painful (So if you need to go from Pashan to Aundh, which are actually just five kilometers apart, you first need to go to Deccan fifteen kilometers away and then hope the bus for Aundh hasn't left just a minute before you reached as the next one wouldn't be coming for the next half hour!).

Well, use the auto you would say. I would happily, if they agree to go to where I want to. And by-the-meter, if you'll please!!

All in a day's hard work!

But, all is not lost.
The city does have its pluses going for it....as I am discovering....




4 comments:

  1. really nice Tarini!!! knowing a new city is very excited and you have written it so well as if I myself roaming there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Parul...your view is most appreciated...I hope to write regularly now (Once I started writing, I realised how much I had been missing it!!)

      Delete
  2. Very well reflected Tarini ! Look forward to more such posts to experience the city through your lens of reality :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouraging words Anchal. Are you from Pune?

      Delete